Are you an Internationally Trained Lawyer (ITL) exploring career paths in Canada? If so, make sure you:
- Discover your options – watch the video above to learn more.
- Learn about the necessary skills and qualifications for different , near-law and non-law career paths.
- Reflect on your work experience and professional goals to determine the best career options for you.
- Connect with professionals in the area through mentoring and networking.
If you have been accredited to practice law in Canada, you can explore working in:
- a law firm,
- an in-house legal department, whether in a company or with the government, or
- a legal clinic.
If you are not planning to obtain accreditation to practice law or if you opt to work outside a legal career path, you can choose from:
- Near-Law career options, such as contract administration, policy analysis and legal research.
- Non-Law career options, such as stakeholder engagement and/or Indigenous relations, project management and human resources.
For more details on several near-law and non-law career options for ITLs click here.
CRIEC has several no-cost strategies to help you find and pursue your career path in Calgary. They include: mentoring, workshops, networking opportunities, observerships in legal workplaces and more. Connect with us to learn more.
Back to ITL Homepage